It’s autumn, and autumn means aubergine! These griddled aubergine slices are so easy to do and can be spiced with whatever you fancy. Just drizzle with olive oil and top with your chosen spice, griddle for a couple of minutes each side hey presto – you’ve got a velvety, smokey, scrummy aubergine salad. Perfect for work the next day!
- 1 small aubergine, thinly sliced lengthways
- Handful cherry tomatoes
- Large handful of salad leaves – I used rocket
- Flaked almonds
- 2 spring onions, chopped
- Handful of mint, chopped (optional)
- 1 tsp sumac (optional)
- Olive oil
- Balsamic vinegar (optional)
Balsamic glaze | Salsa verde | Chimichurri
Feta cheese | Greek yogurt (spiced with sumac) | Tzatziki
Meat and fish options
- Heat the griddle pan on a high heat and brush the aubergine slices with a little olive oil, then sprinkle with salt, pepper and the sumac (if using).
- Place a couple aubergine slices flat on the griddle pan and heat for 2-3 minutes until they start to soften and char. Flip the aubergine slices over and repeat on the other side. (This will need to be done in batches until all the aubergine slices are done).
- While the aubergine cooks, pop a couple of the cherry tomatoes into the pan and heat until soft and the skins start to split.
- Place the salad leaves, spring onion and mint (if using) in a bowl. Add 2 tbsps olive oil, 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar, a little salt and pepper and stir to combine. (If preparing the night before work, pop the dressing in a small jar and drizzle over the salad in the morning or at lunch – otherwise the leaves can go soggy)! Pop on a plate, layer with the aubergine slices and cherry tomatoes, then top with the flaked almonds.