This recipe came about one evening last week, when all we had left in the fridge by way of greens was a big bunch of cavolo nero. I had no choice but to make the gorgeous green kale the centre piece of my lunch the next day, so I just added some nuts and rice for substance and off I went. I wasn’t intending to share the recipe, but it was so yummy I thought why not! Perfect for the lunchbox series.
- 70g brown rice, cooked as per packet instructions
- 100g cavolo nero kale, large stems removed and finely sliced
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- ½ tsp ground cumin
- ½ tsp ground coriander
- ½ tsp turmeric
- 25g pistachios
- 25g pine nuts
Olive oil, salt and pepper | Lemon and caper dressing
Sliced avocado | Cheese – feta, mozzarella, goat’s cheese | Cumin spiced yoghurt
Meat and fish options:
Cooked salmon fillet | Grilled chicken breast | Sliced chorizo
- Dry fry the spices for 30 seconds or so in a large frying pan over a medium heat, then add the garlic and a little olive oil. Cook for another minute.
- Add the cavolo nero to the pan and fry for 5-6 minutes until it starts to soften and crisp up in places. Add a little water if necessary to stop the kale from burning.
- Add the rice, pistachios and pine nuts and stir to combine, then cook for a further 2-3 minutes to allow the rice to fully heat through.