This recipe is inspired by the most incredible red Thai curry I had while in Cornwall, cooked by a family friend and borrowed from the wonderful Nigella. The addition of the mango was simply inspired, so I was straight back in the kitchen as soon as I got home in order to create my own version. I combined my favourite veggies, a whole host of Thai spices I found in the cupboard, a load of fresh coriander and of course, some mango. And this was the result! In fact my brother was so impressed when he tried it last night that he left me a note saying: unbelievable, best red Thai curry I’ve ever had. A little biased maybe, but a great compliment nonetheless!
This recipe is vegan, but includes the option to add chicken or prawns if desired.
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 stalks dried lemongrass (optional)
- 2 inch piece of ginger, finely chopped or grated
- 1 onion, finely diced
- 1 red pepper, thinly sliced
- 1 yellow pepper, thinly sliced
- 150g tenderstem broccoli, cut into smaller florets
- 100g cavolo nero, shredded (large stems removed)
- 2 x 400ml tins full fat coconut milk
- 450ml vegetable/chicken stock
- 4 tbsps red thai curry paste
- 2 tbsps fish sauce/nam pla (optional)
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp rice vinegar (optional)
- Juice of half a lime
- 150g cubed mango
- 1 bunch fresh coriander, chopped
- 450 – 500g good quality chicken breast, cut into thin strips
Fry this off in a frying pan with a little olive oil, salt and pepper until cooked through and lightly bronzed. Set aside on a plate or bowl and cover. Add the chicken back into the pan with the rest of the ingredients for the last 5 minutes cooking time.*
- 400g good quality frozen red prawns
Pop the prawns under some cold running water to remove any excess ice. Add them into the pan with the mango and lime juice for the last 2-3 minutes cooking time.**
- Fresh coriander
- Lime wedge
- Fresh red chilli, finely sliced or chilli flakes (optional)
- Heat the olive oil in a large wok or heavy-based frying pan. Add the onions and cook on a low heat for 3-4 minutes, until translucent, then add the garlic, ginger and lemongrass and cook for a few minutes more. Add the curry paste and stir to coat the onions.
- Pour in the coconut milk, stock, fish sauce and soy sauce and stir to combine. Tip in the peppers, broccoli and cavolo nero and stir again. Pop the lid on the pan, reduce to a simmer and cook for 10-15 minutes until the veggies have softened. *Add the chicken here, if using, and simmer for the last 5 minutes cooking time.*
- Add the rice vinegar, lime juice, mango and coriander and stir to combine. **Add the prawns here, if using, and simmer for 2-3 minutes until hot and cooked through.**
- Serve with brown or white rice, rice noodles or courgetti and top with fresh coriander, lime and chillies, if desired.