There’s something really comforting about a big bowl of pasta. It’s quick, simple and wonderfully satisfying, so it’s no doubt it’s a favourite among many. This fresh yet wholesome recipe packs a punch with the zesty lemon and a little kick of chilli, plus ups your omega-3 and iron intake thanks to the oily salmon and crunchy green veg. A winner if you ask me!
- 150g wholewheat spelt fusilli
- 150g asparagus tips
- 150g tenderstem broccoli, cut into smaller strips
- 150g good quality smoked salmon
- ½ white onion, finely sliced
- 2 garlic cloves
- Juice and a little zest of 1 lemon
- 1 tsp chilli flakes
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp crème fraiche (optional)
- Chilli oil to serve (optional)
- Add a little salt to a saucepan and put the pasta on to cook.
- Heat the olive oil in a large frying pan. Add the onion and fry for a few minutes until they start to soften. Add the garlic, broccoli, asparagus tips and chilli flakes and fry for 5 minutes.
- Add the salmon to the pan and fry until cooked through, breaking it up into small flakes as it cooks. Add the lemon juice and zest.
- Take one large ladleful of the cooking water from the pasta and pour into the pan. Add the crème fraiche and stir until fully combined.
- Finally, drain the pasta and tip into the pan, stirring until coated in the sauce. Serve with a drizzle of chilli oil and a sprinkle of chilli flakes and lemon zest.