These are the perfect snack to make on a Sunday, ready for the week ahead. They’re rich, gooey and completely delicious and a great pick-me-up treat for that 4 o’clock energy slump. I often take some into work with me so I can snack happy with a nice cup of tea!
- 50g oats
- 50g cashews
- 50g almonds (hazelnuts, pecans and walnuts also work well)
- 100g soft, pitted dates
- 50g cocoa powder
- 50g coconut oil, melted
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tbsp honey/agave/maple syrup
For the chocolate coating
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 75g good quality dark chocolate (or a vegan/sugar-free alternative)
- Handful of crushed pistachios
- Handful of freeze dried raspberries
Makes 12-14 balls
- Put the nuts, oats and cocoa powder into a food processor and blitz for several minutes until the mixture reaches a flour-like consistency.
- Add the dates, coconut oil, vanilla extract and honey and blitz again until everything is fully combined. The mixture should clump together reasonably well when squeezed between your fingers.
- Take a small handful of the mixture, roll into a little ball and put to one side. Continue to do this with the rest of the mixture.
- Place the chocolate balls into the freezer for 20 minutes to harden, then remove and set to one side.
- Break up the chocolate into small chunks and pop into the microwave, heating slowly so as not to burn the chocolate. Once it starts to melt, add the coconut oil and heat again, stirring until fully combined.
- Drop the energy balls one by one into the melted chocolate and, using a fork, place them onto a cooling rack. Repeat the process for the remaining balls. Finally, sprinkle the crushed pistachios and raspberry pieces on top and allow to cool.
These will keep in the fridge for up to 2 weeks (if you don’t eat them all before then)!